Market Lavington Museum

Preserving the heritage of Market Lavington and Easterton

 

Home Page

 

A brief history of the parish

 

Daily update on our museum blog

 

Entrance Room

The Kitchen

Trades Room

Upstairs

 

Basket Making

Pond Digging

Brick Making

Events

People

 

E-Mail

lavingtoncurator@gmail.com

 

 

 

Transport

 

Market Lavington and Easterton were never well served by transport. Until the coming of the turnpikes in the 18th century the roads were never more than rutted tracks. Then, for a hundred years or so, the main road from Devizes to Salisbury passed through Market Lavington, using what we now call Parsonage Lane and White Street to make its way up on to the downs and across to Salisbury.

 

The canal network came no closer than Devizes and that didnít open until 1810.

 

In the early years of the twentieth century the main road to Salisbury was closed because our part of Salisbury Plain became a military training area. The new main road (the present A360) passes through West Lavington.

 

The first regular bus service was operated by Edwin Potter who ran a horse bus service between Lavington and Devizes. It is seen here on Cornbury bridge in the early years of the twentieth century. Mr Potter ran his bus from about the 1880s until the Edwardian era. By then it was proving uneconomic and the service was abandoned.

nearcornburymill undated

Motor buses came to the village in about 1911. Later these were owned and operated by Fred Sayer. He managed a huge fleet of motor buses over an extensive network and also operated excursions using charabancs.

 

Page still under construction

 

Home Page