Market Lavington Museum

1911- Market Lavington celebrates the coronation


In Market Lavington Museum, we have two pictures of King George V’s coronation celebrations in oval brass frames.

This one is of the eastern part of the High Street, taken from the Market Place. In 1911, the Post Office was on the corner of the Market Place, but is now situated further west, on the corner of Parsonage Lane. The Green Dragon can be seen in its familiar location on the right hand side of the picture, although its porch no longer extends so far across the pavement.

The matching frame contains a photo looking up the High Street to the crossroads and beyond. The picture was taken from outside a former public house, The Volunteer Arms.

Several of the houses and the department store at the crossroads have been decorated for the occasion.