A Clock Face
Today we look at a clock face which once kept the time in the old Baptist Chapel on Chapel Lane. As far as we know the clock works are still in situ above the counter in what is now the fish and chip shop.
The clock is thought to date from about 1865 and clearly carries the name of J A Smith of Devizes. It is not in good order with missing white paint and added daubs and splashes of blue.
Sadly, we know almost nothing of J A Smith. We believe he operated from Devizes Market Place.
The dial measures about 16 inches across and we believe the clock would have been of a kind known as a gallery clock.
We would, of course, love to know more for our records.