A fire brigade horse whip
The Market Lavington Fire Engine in 1920 was drawn by a horse.
At the museum, we have the whip that was used for controlling the horse. In fact, it doesn’t have a lash, so maybe it should be called a crop.
It is quite knobbly along most of its length and is possibly made of cherry wood.
However, the end that was held by the driver was covered in leather and had an ornately decorated ferrule .
It probably dates from about 1920 or a little earlier and had belonged to Percy Wilkins (1911 – 1997), a Market Lavington resident, who had been a member of the local fire brigade.
Here is Percy in later life, as painted by Bridget Brooke in 1985.