Market Lavington Museum

A pit saw


This tool is one of several in A Saw Display at Market Lavington Museum. It is a pit saw dating from 1850, measuring two metres in length. It should be somewhat longer, as it is missing the handle at one end.

A pit saw is a two man saw, used in a saw pit, with one sawyer standing above the timber lying across the pit and the other sawyer standing below the timber, down in the pit. This method might have been used for sawing a tree trunk into planks.

Our saw was used at Gye’s Yard on White Street in Market Lavington until 1924. At that point the smithy moved to the yard from Easterton and the pit was filled in to make space to accommodate the forge.

A close up picture of how the handle sections were attached to the saw.