Market Lavington Museum

An evacuee in Lavington


Sitting third from the right in the middle row of this photograph is Maurice Came. He was a 2nd World War evacuee in Market Lavington, who stayed in the area after the war and, much later, gave a talk about his experiences to pupils at Lavington School. Maurice remembers camping with the scouts in the old chalk pit at the top of Lavington Hill.

In our museum, we have a transcript of his talk, which provides many interesting details of life for a youngster in the war and how a London boy had to adapt to country games and activities.

Maurice, his mother, brother and sister were already on a train heading for Devizes as war was declared on 3rd September 1939. Arriving as a family unit, they required accommodation but the children did not need foster parents, like some of the other evacuees. (See Mrs Drury with evacuees, Emms – Evacuees, Easterton Evacuees, An Evacuee Remembers and Latimer Road School – 1942/43.)

Maurice and his family were taken to the Corn Exchange in Devizes and issued with some basic food items, such as corned beef and condensed milk, and they were then billeted in the stables at Clyffe Hall in Market Lavington. Later, after seeing a rat at the stables, they were rehoused at the New Inn, later called the Drummer Boy. This former public house is opposite the Old School on Church Street.

We will feature more of Maurice’s memories in future blogs.