Ann at The Old House
One of Market Lavington’s more reclusive inhabitants was Ann Pleydell Bouverie. She descended from the Earl of Radnor and was a part of the family who owned the Manor of Market Lavington.
Ann herself was born around 1844 in the early years of Victoria’s reign. By the time Ann died, in 1940, she was living in the reign of her fifth monarch. It is interesting to reflect on changes seen during such a long life.
In her early years, Market Lavington was still holding its weekly market on a Wednesday and the town – for it was considered as such back then, was a rival to Devizes. In 1857, Ann might have witnessed the opening of the branch line to Devizes – something which gave that market town a real edge over Market Lavington. The Lavingtons had to wait until 1900 for a railway line.
Power for any tasks that needed doing would have been by humans, animals, wind and water although having had steam engines built in the village, by William Cambridge probably meant that Ann would have seen some of them. We have no records of steam cars, but the internal combustion engine cars didn’t arrive until the twentieth century.
Ann was approaching 60 when the Wright brothers first flew an aeroplane. She was 70 when World War One broke out and into her nineties when the second world war began.
During her long life she’d have witnessed the arrival of electricity, the coming of the wireless, the invention of the gramophone and the telephone. No doubt she’d be gobsmacked now by how things have moved on.
And her she is, as an elderly lady, outside The Old House, where she had lived for some 60 or so years.
She looks very much the grand old lady, but she was rarely seen in public during her later life.
She is buried in Market Lavington church yard.