Market Lavington Museum

Another Burgess carte de visite


Alf Burgess was the village photographer, with a studio and shop on the High Street in Market Lavington. He set up business here in 1886 and worked there until his death in 1918, when two of his sons became the village photographers. See Alf and Marion Burgess for one of our many blog entries about this family and their work.

Cartes de visite were a very popular photographic format at that time and we have many of them in the museum. Sadly, we do not know who some of the subjects are, though the cards they are mounted on clearly attribute them to our local photographer.

If anyone recognises this gentleman in his woollen three piece suit and jaunty wing collar, do please let us know. (Wing collars became fashionable early in the 20th century and Alf Burgess died in 1918, so that gives us a guide to the age of the photo.)