Market Lavington Museum

Blow the fire, blacksmith


Market Lavington Museum was set up by Peggy Gye. Her husband’s family ran the building firm at Gye’s Yard on White Street in Market Lavington. They dealt with far more than just building, having a blacksmith and wheelwright working for them too. They also dealt with funerals. Many of the old tools and objects used by the firm have found their way into the museum.

These huge bellows dominate one corner of our trades room. They were used at Gye’s Yard until they were replaced by a motorised fan, to keep the fire hot enough for smithy work.

A little poem was left beside the bellows by our founder curator.

Apparently the words are from a traditional Gloucestershire song, collected by Cecil Sharp in 1909.