Buying a drink in the 1840s continued
Following on from our previous blog entry, we will continue to look at the provision of local public houses in the 1840s, based on information from directories.
In 1842 and 1844 Pigot’s directories, Joseph Lawes was at The Kings Arms, but he had been replaced by Stephen Draper by the time of the Hunt’s directory of 1848. Our Kings Arms to become houses. blog shows a local newspaper article stating that parts of this building date back to the 17th century and that the earliest reference to it being called The Kings Arms was in 1822.
This picture dates from the early 20th century. For more about this public house, see The Kings Arms – 1915, At the Kings Arms in 1985, The Kings Arms – behind the scenes., The Kings Arms Skittle Alley – 2010, The Kings Arms and The Kings Arms bar in 2010.
Of all the Market Lavington public houses mentioned in the directories of the 1840s, only The Green Dragon remains open for business in 2021. It has been important as a coaching inn as well as a posting office and an excise office. In Pigot’s directories of 1842 and 1844, it was run by Henry Philpott. He was still there according to Slater’s directory for1852-3 though, by the 1855 Kelly’s directory has William P House at The Green Dragon & excise office.
Our picture of a crowd outside The Green Dragon dates from 1902.
In our neighbouring village of Easterton, our directories from the 1840s onwards only mention The Royal Oak as a public house though, at some point, there had also been a pub called The Cow in the home now known as The Grange – Easterton. In 1842 and 1844, Thomas Davies had The Oak at Easterton.
So, we have now visited the six public houses mentioned in Market Lavington and Easterton in 1840s directories, but there were other options for obtaining drinks. William Oxford is listed as a Retailer of Beer in East (Market) Lavington and, among the various Maltsters, John Burge of East Lavington was also a spirit merchant.