Market Lavington Museum

Congregational Jugs, Cups and Saucers


When the Market Lavington Museum archivist visited a village ‘spring’ sale a couple of days ago, she was pulled on one side and given a collection of crockery.

Newly acquired Congregational Church china at Market Lavington Museum

These crocks are badged with ‘Lavington Congregational Church’

Logo on Congregational Church china

It is believed the items date from the opening of the Congregational Church on the south side of High Street in 1892, but they could be older for the church body was already in existence before then and remains alive and well in 2010 as Trinity Church, although the building which opened in 1892 is no longer in use.

We understand that when the church had no further use for their crockery the local football club became the owners. When they no longer needed it, various members of the club took cups and saucers as village souvenirs. We assume that 0ne such person decided they no longer wanted them and so they arrived at the sale. Now these pieces have a home in the museum and will be available for all to see and enjoy.