Cows at Grove Farm
In our previous blog, we learned that the Francis family were able to buy Grove Farm in 1952, having rented it previously. Philip Francis, the youngest of three sons, told us, in his oral history recording, that up to date milking sheds and a milking machine were put in when they bought the farm. Previously, his mother and father had milked by hand, sitting on stools.
At Market Lavington Museum, we have a hand drawn plan of the farm, dating from about 1970. This shows that the milking parlour was the building on the right, between the road and the farmhouse.
In this photo from 1972, we can see the range of farm buildings, with part of the hay barn on the left, the outbuildings alongside the wall by the road, the dairy and milking parlour on the right and a glimpse of the farmhouse behind.
And here are a couple of the cows in that farmyard area.
Although Philip grew up on a dairy farm, and worked there for a while after school, he did not like the cows and preferred other jobs around the farm. As a small child he had nearly been killed by a cow, being saved by the protection of a water trough.
We will focus on more of his memories of the farm and the surrounding area in the 1940s and 1950s on another occasion.