Directories and Post Offices – part three
We left the investigation into Market Lavington’s post offices in 1907, when Thomas Morris was still the sub postmaster. However, by 1911, Kelly’s directory gave much the same detail about the services provided, but Arthur M Walton had become sub postmaster. He ran the department store on the corner of High Street and White Street.
In Market Lavington Post Office., we see that this was situated next to Walton’s Stores in about 1930, though we imagine it moved to that site before then.
In this 1923 postcard, we see Walton’s Stores (the shop on the right with a striped sun shade). Close scrutiny of the image shows a sign just beyond the sunshade. It has a lion and a unicorn on it and reads Public Telephone.
It is similar to this sign, found on the internet, which includes the words Post Office, so feel that Market Lavington’s Post Office was already housed in the building next to the sub postmaster’s emporium.
Indeed, from the lady’s clothes, we imagine the photograph on the postcard dates from before the 1920s. Further investigation shows that the property on the corner of the Market Place, which had been the post office, was trading as Briant’s Restaurant in a postcard sent in 1917.
An undated postcard shows the restaurant more clearly.
Fletcher’s Directory on 1954-5 gives W Driver at the Post Office whilst, in 1966, Fletcher’s Directory names A R Rees at the Post Office, with the 1, High Street address, which is still the Post Office in 2021.
For more pictures and information, see Three Post Office locations.