Enclaves and exclaves
At Market Lavington Museum, we conserve the history of Market Lavington and anywhere that was ever a part of Market Lavington. This may sound odd, but so was the situation prior to reorganisation in 1884. Nowadays Market Lavington lies between its neighbours West Lavington and Easterton. Historically, a small parcel of land known as Gore, a tithing of Market Lavington, was an enclave, completely surrounded by West Lavington. Easterton ‘belonged’ to the parish of Market Lavington until its own church was built in late Victorian times. However, the long, narrow tithing of Fiddington, lying between Market Lavington and Easterton was an exclave, as it belonged to West Lavington.
Fortunately, all is simpler now with Gore becoming part of West Lavington and Fiddington joining Market Lavington. It does, however, still cause some confusion when people look for their relatives in Fiddington Asylum on nineteenth century censuses and realise they need to look for them in West Lavington.
At the museum we have this poster advertising the auction sale of three fields in 1866. The land was used as allotments.
Although the heading states that the land is at Fiddington, Market Lavington, lower down we see that it is ‘situate in the parish of West Lavington, in the county of Wilts’.