Market Lavington Museum

Farming in Easterton -1939


We have looked, recently, at Easterton in 1939 in Kelly’s directory and considered Easterton businesses lost since 1939, focusing mainly on the shops. However, the list of commercial businesses shows the predominance of farming and market gardening carried on in the parish. There are seven market gardeners and a smallholder mentioned as well as nine farmers.

The directory informs us that “The soil is loam; subsoil greensand. The chief crops are corn and roots.” In Easterton and its tithing of Eastcott, Manor Farm and The Close at Eastcott are each marked as having over 150 acres. The remaining farms were smaller and not all are still run as independent farms. Often land has been sold off to become part of larger farming enterprises and the farmhouses have become private homes.

This is the commercial list for 1939.

We have featured Crossways Poultry Farm some twenty years before this directory. It was run by the Misses Chivers then and by Mrs Agnes Maddick in 1939. That area has private housing and a plant nursery and fields there now, but the poultry business is no more.

Amongst the other small farms in 1939, which are now private homes are Twentylands and Halstead Farm. (See Easterton farms.) In the 1939 directory, Hubert Bowyer was at one of the large farms, Manor Farm, Eastcott. He moved there in 1928, but sold it to Major Carver in 1940. (See Contracting Means Expanding.) Fairfield Farm, on White Street can be seen in Looking up White Street – Then and Now. There is also interesting information about Willoughbys and Halstead Farmhouses in their sales brochures. ( See Willoughbys for sale and Halstead Farm, Easterton.)

More information about Easterton’s farms and the history of the village can be found in the updated and expanded version of The History and Development of Easterton Village, originally by Sheila Judge, which is available for sale for £12 from Market Lavington Museum and Market Lavington Post Office.