Market Lavington Museum

Frank Potter’s Cow


Frank Potter was a small scale dairy farmer in Market Lavington.

He was born in about 1877 and he was one of the children of Edwin and Ann Potter. Edwin ran the horse bus service between Market Lavington and Devizes.

By 1901 Edwin was classed as a carrier and farmer. Frank, still at home assisted his father.

Later that year Frank married Mary Maddick who came, originally, from Exeter.

In 1911 the couple with three children lived on High Street, Market Lavington – towards the Stobbarts Road end but his job was still working for his father.

Edwin died in 1921. As surviving family members recall that Frank lived ‘next to The Green Dragon’, it seems likely that he took over his father’s farm, for that is where Edwin had lived.

The photo we have today is of Frank’s cow. As this is a photo with the ‘cute ’factor,  now might be a time to remind readers that images should not be used without first requesting permission from Market Lavington Museum.

Even the pigs are clever in Market Lavington. This one has learned that Frank Potter's cow provides milk!

Even the pigs are clever in Market Lavington. This one has learned that Frank Potter’s cow provides milk!

Yes, a piglet has discovered that cows provide milk. The cow does not seem to object.

Frank and Mary along with eldest son, Henry, are listed as electors of High Street, Market Lavington on the 1926 register.

By 1939, the youngest daughter, Gladys was on the roll and she lived with her parents on High Street.

Frank died in 1962. Today we keep the memory of his cow alive.