Getting to the 1907 Manor contents auction
In our previous blog entry, we had a look at picture of a Chippendale bed, for sale in the 1907 auction at Market Lavington Manor.
The catalogue produced by the George T Smith firm of Devizes auctioneers, gives a clue as to the reason for the sale. It was ‘by order of the trustees of the estate of the late Walter Pleydell Bouverie’, though he had died in 1893 and the sale of the contents was held in 1907.
In between, the manor house had been let furnished to Mme de Lavalette and its new owner since 1902, Charles Awdry, was unable to move in until she had died (in 1907 according to Brian McGill or 1909 according to Jack Welch).
By 1907, Lavington had a railway station, opened in 1900, and this was less than a mile from the auction at the manor. The auctioneers had made arrangements for certain trains to halt, by request, at Lavington Station on the viewing and auction days in order to attract as many potential buyers as possible.
It was necessary to inform the stationmaster at Lavington well in advance if trains were to be requested to stop at the station for return journeys.
We will look at some more 1907 pictures of the rooms in the manor and some of the furnishings on sale in future blog entries.