Grand plans for a Community Hall
Our previous blog entry, about the sale of Grove Farm in 1916, explained that the site of that former farmhouse is where the Community Hall now stands.
The scrapbooks of newscuttings at Market Lavington Museum are good for Capturing a moment in time. On 12th April 2001, the Wiltshire Gazette and Herald had an article featuring the plans for the hall. It alludes to previous grand designs, which included incorporating a theatre and art gallery.
As lottery funding was unlikely to cover this, by 2001 the plans had been scaled back, but still envisaged providing accommodation for the library and museum and a computer suite. A new doctors’ surgery was to be built on the site along with an adventure playground.
This was the artist’s impression of the main building.
This article serves to remind us of what might have been. In reality, the plans were scaled back again to include just the main hall and a meeting room along with a bar, a kitchen and toilets. It is a lovely and well used facility, but the library has moved into the Old School, the museum is still in the old schoolmaster’s cottage and the doctors built a new surgery at the other end of the village.
The hall was opened by Peggy Gye in 2007.