Market Lavington Museum

James House of Market Lavington


One of the artefacts on display in the entrance room at Market Lavington Museum is a cast iron trade plate which carries the simple message – J. House Market Lavington.

J House Market Lavington - 19th century trade plate

We have no other records of J. House but some quick research can paint a little of his life.

J. House was James and he was born in 1821 to Robert and Elizabeth.

By 1851 James was living with his widowed mother in Market Lavington Market Place where he was running a machinery making business, employing five workers.

James married Eliza from Stockton, Wiltshire in 1854. According to the censuses, James continued to run the engineering business in the market place until at least 1891.

James died in 1894 and is buried in the churchyard of St Mary’s, Market Lavington. His widow, Eliza, continued to live in the Market Place – she was still there for the 1911 census but died soon after.