Market Lavington Museum

Jubilee Cottage, Northbrook


Once upon a time, the street known as Northbrook in Market Lavington was lined with cottages. Many have now been replaced with larger dwellings but there are plenty that remain. One of them is Jubilee Cottage, a pleasing detached house, which was built in 1887, when Victoria had been queen for fifty years – hence its name of Jubilee Cottage.

Market Lavington Museum has a faded, sepia print photo of the cottage in its early days.

Faded photograph of Jubilee Cottage at Market Lavington Museum

The photographer for this late nineteenth century image was J H Tatton of Trowbridge.

The photo can, of course, be enhanced with computer technology.

Jubilee Cottage - enhanced version of photo

People outside Jubilee Cottage, but just who are they?

The house was built by Robert Oram who we believe we see here in the small front garden. Our museum information suggests that Mrs Oram, the lady, is either his wife or his mother. We now think that Robert’s mother had died before Jubilee Cottage was built.

One can but wonder if, in fact it is Mrs Oram with a son for Robert would have been approaching 50 by the time this photo was taken.

Above the house porch there is the simple inscription of R O 18 JUBILEE 87. This is still there, but the strange head has vanished.

Inscription and head above the porch of Jubilee Cottage

The net curtains and tassels look very proper.

Delightful net curtains at Jubilee Cottage from the photo at Market Lavington Museum

A brief outline of the lives of Robert and Priscilla Oram can be found here.