Market Lavington Museum

Lavington Secondary Modern School


In our last blog post, we saw that the school association were still planning a campaign of deputations and a petition to further their cause in having secondary education provision for the older pupils from various local village schools. That was in April 1958. What is remarkable is that the new school they requested was built and ready for the first intake of pupils by 1961.

At Market Lavington Museum, we have a photograph of the older children on the pavement outside Market Lavington School soon before they would leave and start at the new secondary modern school.

The writing on the back of this picture by village photographer, Peter Francis, reads “Last group of 11-16 year olds at Mkt Lavington VC (voluntary controlled) School before the were transferred to the Secondary Modern School.

We will look at our programme for the 1962 official opening and dedication of the new school next time.