Market Lavington Museum

Lavington Supply Store to St. Arbucks


The name Market Lavington is a bit of a giveaway. It used to be a market town and, indeed, it is still a minor centre for the local area with more shops and facilities than might be expected in a village. A new one, just started is the Saint Arbucks coffee shop in a building which was once a part of the Lavington Supply Store. Their web site is at www.saintarbucks.info . We already have paper artefacts like the flyer below, in the museum.

St. Arbucks Flyer - one of the newest items stored for posterity at Market Lavington Museum

St. Arbucks Flyer – one of the newest items stored for posterity at Market Lavington Museum

But we no longer have a department store spread over several buildings in the village centre but we do have reminders. On our stairway, and very hard to photograph we have a sign, similar to the one below but in better condition. This sign, which is in pieces, is in store. From time to time we unwrap the stored items to check for any signs of problems and the opportunity was taken to photograph this one.

A Lavington Supply Store sign dating from about 1900

A Lavington Supply Store sign dating from about 1900

The name, partly hidden, tells us that the proprietor of this business was A M Walton. Arthur Walton came to Market Lavington prior to 1891 with his wife Emily. We think this sign dates from the early 20th century. We cannot find a photo which features this sign.

But here is one which says ‘Lavington Supply Store’ on the building which is now St. Arbucks. This photo dates from about 1904.

1904 photo of White Street. The staff of Mr Walton's Lavington Supply Store stand outside what is now St. Arbucks, Market Lavington

1904 photo of White Street. The staff of Mr Walton’s Lavington Supply Store stand outside what is now St. Arbucks, Market Lavington

For the record, we believe it is possible that in earlier times this building was an inn – The Lamb. The name Lamb Corner still survives for the crossroads.