Market Lavington Museum

More hat pins


Hats were an essential part of lady’s attire for many decades. Even into the 1960s, the older generation would not feel properly dressed, for going to church or out visiting, unless they were wearing a hat. It was necessary to secure the hat in place, so that the wind wouldn’t blow it askew or away. This was done by using a hat pin. Providing the hat was made of felt or straw or some fabric with an open weave, the pin could be poked through without causing any damage. As the pin was pushed through the hat, it was necessary to slide it along the scalp, picking up a lock of hair before poking the sharp point back through to the outside of the hat. The blunt end of the hat pin was often ornate and enhanced the look of the headgear.

We have already featured Hat Pins twice on our Market Lavington Museum blog. (See also Hat Pins.) The collection in this photograph belonged to Lucretia Ethel Gye, the mother in law of the founder of our museum. They date from about 1890 to 1925.

The golf club and ball pin on the far left and the black and white cross pin on the right have already been featured in detail. We will now look at the remaining pins in this set.

The plainest pins are the trio with black heads. These are about 20 cms long.

The other two are shorter and somewhat prettier, with heads made of coloured glass and shaped like faceted crystals.