More sign writing at Lavington House
In our blog post A sign of the times, we looked at the signs painted on the department store at the crossroads in Market Lavington to help us with dating postcards.
Above the shop door, there is a small area of brickwork set at an angle to the High Street and White Street. This has also provided an opportunity for the signwriters.
In 1904, Walton’s Stores had Cash Supply Stores painted in this place.
The village celebrated the coronation in 1911 and the shop owners showed their support for the new King George by having GR and a crown painted above the door.
Of course, this was a one off celebration and the special signwriting was overpainted in white by the following year.
This is a 1912 postcard, but the wall was still white on one from 1923.
However, a new sign appeared there in the 1930s.
We see that the store is advertising itself as a Noted House for Boots and Shoes.
By the 1950s, E Hayball was the owner’s name above the door and the wall sign had been hidden under white paint once more.