Market Lavington Museum

Opening a barrow at Freith Farm


Back in 1924 a barrow was excavated at Freith farm. This farm is right in the north of the parish of Market Lavington. Most people won’t realise that this farm in the V between the Worton and Potterne roads is, in fact, in Market Lavington.

The Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society reported on the excavation in their December 1926 magazine.

WANHS Magazine for December 1926

WANHS Magazine for December 1926

And now the article.

image004 image006 image007

The magazine contains a photo of the urn found.

Funeral urn found at Freith Farm, Market Lavington in 1924

Funeral urn found at Freith Farm, Market Lavington in 1924

We are not a primary archaeology museum at Market Lavington and, of course, we only opened our doors in 1985, so do not expect to find items like this urn with us.

By the way, we do note that the magazine refers to Freeth Farm and the farmer, Mr Seymour. He was the last commercial cheese maker in the parish and we have some of his equipment in the museum.