Market Lavington Museum

Stobbarts Place?


When new buildings go up, it can be hard to place just where an older photo was taken. This photo predates (just) the building of Stobbarts Place but there are clues enough to sort out just where we are looking.

Stobbarts Place, Market Lavington as building commenced in the 1960s

Stobbarts Place, Market Lavington as building commenced in the 1960s

The builders are in place in this 1960s shot. There’s an early JCB type of vehicle and a hefty concrete mixer. The ground has been pegged out ready for building. Of course, what we see behind is more interesting.

The workmans Hall on High Street, Market Lavington

The Workmans Hall on High Street, Market Lavington

At the left hand side of the picture we can see the distinctive roof – with the little bell tower – of the Workmans’ Hall so we are looking along the back of High Street properties.

Closer to us are the last houses on Stobbarts Road.

Stobbarts Road, Market Lavington

Stobbarts Road, Market Lavington

Moving further to the right we have the Devizes Rural District Council housing at Townsend.

Townsend and the Congregational Church in Market Lavington

Townsend and the Congregational Church in Market Lavington

Between those houses we can see the back of the 1892 built former Congregational Church.

And here is a more recent, similar view.

A similar recent view

A similar recent view

On the right hand edge we have the same chimney, and near the centre we can see a part of one of the older Townsend houses. Further to the left, the four chimney stacks are on the Stobbarts Road houses.