Market Lavington Museum

The Church and Grove Farm in the 1890s


Today we look at a photo copied from a photo album of manorial heritage. But not all of the photos are of Pleydell Bouveries and this one shows a simple scene just off Church Street.

Market Lavington Church and Grove Farm in 1897

Market Lavington Church and Grove Farm in 1897

We believe this photo dates from 1897 and is clearly wintry, with snow on the ground. On the extreme right we have the school (now the Old School) and St Mary’s church is behind that.

A teeny corner of the road can just be seen at the bottom left.

The apparent road, straight ahead is the track which then led up to Grove Farm.

Grove Farm - now gone and replaced by the Community Hall

Grove Farm – now gone and replaced by the Community Hall

Grove Farm appears to have a building just this side of it. That doesn’t seem to have survived into living memory. There would seem to be a flight of steps up into the churchyard this side of that building. The fence, thinly visible beyond the top of those steps could be the same one we have now.

The Bier House which still stands just opposite The Drummer Boy

The Bier House which still stands just opposite The Drummer Boy

The bier house was in place. This dates from about 1882. The cottage behind that little building has gone.

What a lovely photo this is.