Market Lavington Museum

The costs of running a school – 1887


In our last post, we looked at the annual accounts for the National School and saw that just over half the income was raised by local people, with the rest coming from government grants. We will now see how that £261. 11s. 0d was spent.

By 1887, the infant classroom had been added to the front of the building, which had been built in the 1840s with just two rooms, one for the girls’ school and one for the boys’. They did not combine until 1914. Mr Hatley (see Daddy Hatley and Daddy Hatley re-visited.) taught the boys from 1879 to 1893. We see that he was paid less than £100 a year.

We assume that the three unmarried ladies at the top of the accounts list taught the girls and the infants between them, with a change of teacher during the year in one class (one there for 9 months and one for 3 months). We then have four named recipients of a salary who are known by their Christian names and were paid much less, so perhaps these were pupil teachers. Paying the staff accounted for most of the funds.

But it was also necessary to buy a few books and some stationery. Beyond that, the monies went on repairs to the building, buying new stoves, cleaning their flues and purchasing solid fuel. New blinds were also acquired. Smaller amounts of money were required to pay for insurance, cleaning and sundries. By the end of the financial year, only £2. 18s. 6d was left to carry over to the next year.

The document ends with a list of the committee, which included members of the local gentry, medical profession and clergy.