The grand hall
Continuing our visit to Market Lavington Manor House, courtesy of the photographs produced by John Chivers of Devizes for the 1907 auction sale catalogue, we will now look at his two pictures of the grand hall.
The local history book, Village under the Plain by Brian McGill (obtainable from the museum and Market Lavington Post Office) concludes with details from the 1972 Historic Monuments Commission’s report on listed buildings, so we also have a word picture of this room. The fireplace is of ‘columned stone … with entablature and scrolled fascia.’
To the left of the billiard table, we see more of this ‘two storey, single aisled main hall, the arcade having polished marble columns and carved stone capitals supporting depressed two-centred arches.’ There is a tile floor in the aisle.
Whilst the words relate to the architecture, the pictures show us the fashionable opulence of late Victorian furnishing in the homes of the wealthy with an abundance of paintings and statues.