Market Lavington Museum

The inauguration of the bells-1877


Our previous two blogs have featured the bells at St Mary’s Church in Market Lavington before 1876 and their recasting in 1876. In that year the Rules for ringers – 1876 were written, so that all was in order for their safe use following their return to the church tower.

In Market Lavington Museum, we have an account of the service of inauguration of the recast bells and how the village celebrated their return. This had been published in the North Wilts Church Magazine. The church clock was also inaugurated on 13th February.

Not only was there a church service, but this was preceded by the firing of a cannon and the flying of a red ensign and followed by a meal at the Green Dragon for 250 people and then a tea was provided for 900 parishioners.