The Manor Sale of 1916
Sale catalogues can be very interesting items and this one, complete with well reproduced photographs certainly is.
The bulk of the estate had been sold off following the death of Charles Awdry. James Welch, the father of the man whose war diaries and letters can be seen here acquired and kept the auction catalogue for the remainder of the estate. This was sold off in 33 lots on July 28th 1916.
Buildings in the sale included
Bouverie Lodge, now happily rebuilt after the awful fire there.
The Fishing Cottage which also still exists.
The cricket pavilion which stood where the houses of Pavilion Gardens have been built.
The manor house itself.
Let’s take a look at a description of lot 23 which included the pavilion.
It sounds delightful.
James Welch, we guess, was at the sale and recorded price and buyer.
So we think the ground and pavilion were purchased by Mr Holloway for £535 (or maybe £555).
Lavington School now occupies part of the former cricket field.