Market Lavington Museum

Water supply for the Manor and Clyffe Hall


Market Lavington homes were only connected to a mains water supply in 1936. Prior to that, for many centuries one of the main sources of water was at Broadwell on White Street. However, as Jack Welch reminds us, in his short history of Market Lavington, written in the 1950s,

His use of the word ‘robbed’ may well reflect the feelings of the villagers in 1867 when Edward Pleydell Bouverie, who had been having the Manor House built, installed hydraulic rams to take water to his new mansion, his farms and Clyffe Hall. The map accompanying our 1916 auction catalogue for the sale of some of the manor properties and land has had the pipeline for this water supply marked on it.

We can see the pipe line starting near Broadwell in the east and heading towards Clyffe Hall and the manor, off the map to the west.

An enlargement of the area south of Grove Farm shows tanks and a sheep wash. Jack explained the loss of this facility in the conclusion of his writing about Broadwell.

‘The open stream was converted into a brick channel in 1893 or 4, and the old Sheep Wash situated near Meadow Cottage (see page 5) was then demolished.’