Market Lavington Museum

Who made our carbide lamps?


We have A pair of rear lamps for a motor cycle or bicycle at Market Lavington Museum.

The larger one was made by Powell and Hamner. This Birmingham firm was founded in 1885 and was taken over by Lucas in 1929, so we can assume our rear lamp was made between those dates.

The smaller lamp was made by Desmo Ltd., also of Birmingham. It seems that they supplied lots of different accessories to the vehicle and motor trades, including windscreens and mirrors.